Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Super Yummy Super Easy Chocolate cake

I have taken PTO for the entire week before school reopens to spend fun time with the kids just chilling out. Yesterday was hubby's birthday. I decided to bake a cake. Though my interest in the kitchen has gone up dramatically, I still look for easy and simple ways to get the desired results. After searching on the internet, I decided to combine things from here and there to see if I could make a lip smacking cake. It had to be chocolate cake as 3 out of 4 members in my family love chocolate. ( Who cares what the birthday boy prefers? ;)  - anyway, it's too soon for me to try a Tiramisu ).  I ended up using the recipe on addapinch.com with minor modifications of my own.
The result was a yummylicious 2 tiered cake! Then I had go and try to apply the frosting and spoil the look.... I wish I had taken a picture of the cake before the frosting. A friend later told me that there are separate knives for applying frosting on cake.


Cake with whipped cream frosting

2-tiers

What you need:

For the Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
1/2 cup milk 
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water

For the Frosting

Heavy whipping cream 3 cups
1 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp instant coffee pwd

How to do it:

Put all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix. I used my electric hand mixer for all the mixing and blending and whipping for this cake. Then add all the remaining ingredients except the water and mix / blend at low to medium speed until you get a smooth paste. Then add the boiling water and mix at high speed. This is to add air and fluff the mixture. Apparently the last step helps make the cake very light and fluffy.

Preheat the oven at 350°F. Pour the cake mixture in a prepared baking pan. The pans can be prepared by coating them lightly with butter or lining with butter paper. For making a 2 tiered cake, use springform pans in 2 sizes. Mine were 8" and 4" diameter. 
Bake for 35 minutes. Check the smaller cake after 25 minutes with a toothpick in the center. It can be removed for cooling while the bigger layer is still cooking. 

Once cooled. Cut off the top layer with a knife to level the cake and put the smaller cake on the bigger one. 

Then you can cover with frosting of your choice. I used whipped cream. Take chilled heavy whipping cream in a mixing bowl and whipped on medium speed until stiff. If you prefer add sugar to the whipping cream to sweeten it. I left it unsweetened. Cover your cake with the whipped cream. Add the cocoa pwd and coffee to part of the whipped cream and use it for the decoration. I yet have to practice this technique to get the pretty results I see in the recipe pictures.



No comments: